Disclaimer

NOTICE: I am a practicing Catholic, active and in good-standing with my local diocese, who professes faith and loyalty to the Church. This ministry - my "little work" - is strictly a personal expression of that faith and loyalty, and not an officially recognized ministry in the Diocese of Honolulu.

~ Peter, Ministry Administrator


Friday, March 1, 2013

A friend's thoughts on the Holy Face...

I recently received an email from a person named Rich from Connecticut. I had sent him a Holy Face Medal last month and he was inspired to use it in a devout manner, which I found both moving and innovative! I hope other visitors to this blog will find Rich's wonderful insights into the Holy Face Devotion, and its deep connection to the Eucharist, as inspiring as I did.   With his permission, I share the text of his message below:


Peter,

A few weeks ago you sent me a Holy Face Medal.   After some reflection on the medal and the meanings it has for me, I decided to make a chaplet of the Blessed Sacrament with it.  There were a few thoughts that inspired its use in this particular chaplet.   Some of them include:

       Mane Nobiscum Domine - Remain with us, Lord.   It is fitting that the reverse of the

       medal includes an image of the Blessed Sacrament with this phrase.   For this is the
       way Jesus has chosen to remain with us in a material and substantial fashion.

       The inclusion on the medal of the images of the Holy Face of Jesus on the obverse

       and the Blessed Sacrament on the reverse reinforces the real presence of Jesus in the
       Eucharist and calls to mind Jesus' words to Philip in reply to his request to be shown
       the Father: "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me?  
       Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.   How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?  
       Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me?"  To gaze upon the
       Eucharist is to look upon our Savior.

      
The thought of the Church being the body of Christ, united to Christ its head in the
       communion of his body and blood. "I in them and you in me, that they may become
       completely one". 

This chaplet is not one of the more common ones, the standard prayers for the chaplet can be seen at:
http://www.prayerbook.com/Chaplets/bschaple.htm

The Blessed Sacrament Chaplet is one I've prayed for several years. I use my own personal variation of the prayers on the chaplet. On the medal, I pray: "Lord Jesus, while I cannot now receive you in Holy Communion, I ask you to come spiritually into my heart and make it thine own forever".

On each bead I pray: "Lord Jesus Christ, truly and substantially present in the most Blessed Sacrament of the Altar, have mercy on me a sinner".

I add a closing prayer at the end: "Lord Jesus, you know that I am an unworthy sinner.  Do not judge me as I deserve.   Have mercy on me and forgive my sins.   While I cannot now receive you in Holy Communion, come spiritually into my heart and make it thine own forever".

Attached are a couple pictures of the chaplet if you are interested.   I used fresh water pearls for the beads as in the Eucharist we have indeed found a "pearl of great price".  I remember you and your ministry in praying the chaplet.


Thank you again for the medal!

Rich

 
I thank Rich for his meaningful reflections and for sharing photos of his chaplet, which turned out beautiful!  May the Holy Face of Jesus continue to shine upon him!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Your comment/feedback is welcomed. However, business advertisements of any sort are not allowed and will be deleted. Thank you.]