Disclaimer

NOTICE: I am a practicing Catholic, active and in good-standing with my local diocese, who professes faith and loyalty to the Church. This ministry - my "little work" - is strictly a personal expression of that faith and loyalty, and not an officially recognized ministry in the Diocese of Honolulu.

~ Peter, Ministry Administrator


Saturday, October 20, 2012

St. Marianne Cope: A Second Saint for Hawaii!


 
The shrine of St. Marianne in the Cathedral
of Our Lady of Peace in Honolulu, Hawaii...
and a large, carved wooden statue of the Saint
currently on display near the shrine. 

A special congratulations to all the Catholic Faithful in Hawaii!  At this very hour (Italian time), the Vatican is celebrating the Canonization of several new Saints, including one from our Aloha State - what a tremendous joy and blessing for the entire Church!  Of course, I am referring to our very own Mother Marianne Cope, who is now officially Saint Marianne Cope of Molokai... and trust me, the Catholics of Hawaii are having a very proud moment right now - we're the only State in the USA to have two Saints who lived and died within our bounderies!

For readers who are not familiar with St. Marianne, here's a chronological summary of the life of our new Saint:


 A Prayer Invoking the Intercession of
St. Marianne Cope of Molokai
(from the website of the Sisters of
St. Francis, Syracuse ~ New York)

  Lord Jesus, you who gave us your commandment of love of God and neighbor, and identified yourself in a special way with the most needy of your people, hear our prayer. Faithful to your teaching, St. Marianne Cope loved and served her neighbor, especially the most desolate outcast, giving herself generously and heroically for those afflicted by leprosy. She alleviated their physical and spiritual sufferings, thus helping them to accept their afflictions with patience. Her care and concern for others manifested the great love you have for us. Through her merits and intercession, grant us the favor which we confidently ask of you so that the people of God, following the inspiration of her life and apostolate, may practice charity towards all according to your word and example.  Amen.

  Through the intercession of St. Marianne Cope, I ask for the grace of (mention your request here).

[Conclude the prayer by reciting an
Our Father, a Hail Mary, and Glory Be
in honor of St. Marianne]

A 1st Class [Bone] Relic of St. Marianne
Cope, as displayed on her Feast Day in her
shrine in the Honolulu Cathedral.

1 comment:

  1. The 1st Class Relic of St. Marianne in the custody of the Honolulu Diocese is currently touring our local parishes. Yesterday, 10/25, I was emailed a wonderful testimonial from a dear sister in Christ, named Pua Hofbauer, who venerated the relic while it was on public display at St. Ann’s Church in nearby Kaneohe. Below is the text of the email. ~ Peter, Guadalupe House

    “Last night, my brother and I went to St. Ann’s to be in the presence of and to have the honor to venerate before St. Marianne Cope. I don’t know what I expected, but it wasn’t anything like what I actually experienced. There was such a peace and holiness in St. Ann’s. I wanted to be there… I wanted to stay. I don’t know why but I was surprised to see many, many disabled people… in wheelchairs, with canes, being led by loved ones. And then it hit me… of course, this was like a pilgrimage (e.g. Fatima, Lourdes). I am still experiencing what I felt last night. At times, it is overwhelming. Being able to not only venerate before St. Marianne but to touch her and kiss her was life-changing for me. It will stay with me until I take my last breath on this earth. I actually felt a tingling in my body (especially my hands, arms and face) when I kissed her and touched her [the relic]. A feeling I’ve never experienced before. I just wanted to share this.”

    ReplyDelete

[Your comment/feedback is welcomed. However, business advertisements of any sort are not allowed and will be deleted. Thank you.]