Disclaimer

NOTICE: I am a practicing Catholic, active and in good-standing with my local diocese, who professes faith and loyalty to the Church. This ministry - my "little work" - is strictly a personal expression of that faith and loyalty, and not an officially recognized ministry in the Diocese of Honolulu.

~ Peter, Ministry Administrator


Friday, March 24, 2023

Memento Mori



"So teach us to number our
days, that we may present to
You a heart of wisdom."

- Psalm 90:12

I'm trying something new for this Lent - I'm thinking about my death.  I got the idea after I saw an unusual devotional item in the catalog of a popular Catholic goods vendor - it was a small resin human skull on which was printed the Latin words "Memento Mori"... and it caught my attention right away.

Doing online research on it, I learned Memento Mori is the pious exercise of doing exactly what the phrase directs - "Remember you will die" - and it's actually a longstanding tradition within Christianity.  Many Saints pondered it, particularly those inclined to asceticism, and some of them are still commonly depicted with human skulls as part of their iconography (e.g. St. Mary Magdalen, Jerome, St. Benedict of Nursia, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Rosalia of Palermo, St. Mariana of Quito, etc.).

   
Depictions of St. Francis of Assisi and
St. Mary Magdalen with skulls.

Inspired, I decided to utilize the practice as my primary reflection for this Lenten Season.  I even molded my own version of a small Memento Mori skull using clay (top photo), which I placed near my home altar.

Now before I continue, allow this author to make a few things very clear - the Christian tradition of Memento Mori and the devotional use of replica skulls have absolutely nothing to do with the Hispanic tradition of the Day of the Dead with its colorful sugar skulls, or the diabolic Santa Muerte cult; they're completely separate.  Nor is Memento Mori intended to be an unhealthy fascination with death and the macabre.  Instead, what I've learned since starting this sobering reflection is that, in effect, this is a highly fruitful spiritual experience - one that I might just continue indefinitely.

"In all thy works be mindful of thy
last end and thou wilt never sin."

- Ecclesiasticus 7:40

So how does one do this?  There are several online articles that give direction, but for me, personally, I simply take a few minutes each morning (and sometimes in the evening, too) to ask myself the following:

If I were to close my eyes in
death today, where will I open
them in the next life?  Will it
be in Heaven or in Hell?

After honestly answering these two questions, I then follow-up by asking God to forgive my sins/faults before going about my day trying to do things that serve Him and my neighbors, while avoiding things that could potentially drag me down to Hell (yes, Hell does exist).  That's it.

I can honestly testify that this pious exercise has made me more conscientious of what I think, say, and do; strengthening me against temptations and other spiritual attacks... plus, I noticed that certain things that used to annoy or inconvenience me somehow don't amount to much anymore.  And, last but not least, it has considerably lessened any anxiety I have about my inevitable passing, which is a major plus in my book!

St. Mariana of Quito dressed in black
and often reflected on her death.

As for those little skulls, they're not necessary to this process, but for the one I made, I like glancing at it, which helps to keep me focused.  One may have noticed the rose on the side of the skull - I put it there to further encourage me that my death has the potential to be beautiful and sweet like the blessed passing of many Saints; that, for faithful Christians, dying is just a gateway to wonders beyond our wildest imagination rather than something to be feared... and I think I made some progress towards that mindset.  Again, a major grace for me.

So, Dear Reader... Lent is the perfect time for Memento Mori, if one hasn't decided yet on something extra to do for this holy season of spiritual renewal.  Sadly, many people today are going through life as if they'll live forever and don't have to answer to God for anything; don't be one of them!  The truth is - we will all eventually die and be judged by our Lord according to our faith in Him and how we personally applied His Commandments.  Unpleasant as it may seem, have you ever given your final days, hours, or minutes of life any serious thought?

Take just a few moments now and ask yourself one or more of the following?

💀  Am I ready to meet God?

💀  What will my death be like?  Will it be a peaceful passing in the loving embrace of God, or will I be tortured by fear and guilt?

💀  If I were to die today/now, where will I spend my eternity?  Will I end up in God's joyous company, along with Our Lady, the Angels, and the Saints... or forever separated from them in misery?

💀  What do I need to do to ensure I reach Heaven?

If you don't like any of your answers, it's not too late to make changes.

Reflect... Pray... then take Action!

🌹 M E M E N T O 💀 M O R I 🌹

"For this reason you also must be ready;
for the Son of Man is coming at an hour
when you do not think He will."

- Matthew 24:44

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Your comment/feedback is welcomed. However, business advertisements of any sort are not allowed and will be deleted. Thank you.]