Disclaimer

NOTICE: I am a practicing Catholic, active and in good-standing with my local diocese, who professes faith and loyalty to the Church. This ministry - my "little work" - is strictly a personal expression of that faith and loyalty, and not an officially recognized ministry in the Diocese of Honolulu.

~ Peter, Ministry Administrator


Sunday, November 16, 2014

Saints & Holy Relics Visitation & Speaking Presentation: St. Anthony of Padua Church, 11/16/2014


  
Sunday School Students and their
parents fill the Day Chapel of St. Anthony
of Padua Church to learn about the
spiritual heroes of our Faith.

After conducting a Saints & Holy Relics presentation just yesterday, I was a little drained going into this second one. This presentation was requested by friends - Catechists for St. Anthony of Padua Parish - for their students and their parents, who were required to participate in some of the religious classes.  So I felt this presentation was going to be significant because the message and lives of the Saints/Blesseds I chose for the audience had to somehow touch entire families.  To add to my challenges, during the Mass that preceded the scheduled presentation, I suddenly came down with a bout of dizziness, nausea, and weakness throughout my body.  It was so mysterious, to say the least, but thankfully, it all began going away after I received Holy Communion… and through the grace of our Lord, Jesus Christ, I was able to proceed with this important presentation.

The display altar
My best estimate is that over 50 people attended today’s talk in the Kailua parish’s Day Chapel - a mix of parents and lots of children!  Among the saintly individuals who I shared about, and whose sacred relics were present, were St. Bernadette Soubirous, Blesseds Francisco & Jacinta Marto, and St. Pope John Paul II… but the brightest stars in today’s presentation were a holy married couple and their equally holy daughter.  They were the Blesseds Louis & Zelie Martin and the great St. Therese Martin of Lisieux (aka the “Little Flower”).

I used the lives of the Martin Family as an example for the audience of how completely normal families can successfully walk together on the narrow path to Sanctity.  I also emphasized that "church" actually begins at home in our families… and it also doesn’t take a break for a week after we leave Sunday Mass, but rather we should take the faith-lessons learned in church and apply them daily at home.  Despite the little obstacles I had leading up to this morning’s event, the presentation turned out to be spiritually fruitful.  People connected with the lives of the Saints/Blesseds and faith-seeds were definitely planted.

The Martin Family... a perfect example
of family rooted in Faith: Blesseds Zelie
Louis Martin and their daughter, St. Therese the Little Flower.

After the talk, parents and children went up to the display altar to say prayers and venerate the relics, and several adults approached me and the Catechist Team to express their gratitude and interest about the information that was shared with them.  One mother commented that she was glad she attended because she had a devotion to the Little Flower, and was happy to learn about her blessed parents, too.  The woman further explained that she doesn’t have the means to make a visit to holy shrines in Europe but today she had the unique opportunity to pray not just in the physical presence of St. Therese, but also with the sacred remains of other Blesseds/Saints, as well… and she didn’t even have to leave Kailua!  The woman’s eyes watered up as she spoke and I understood the lady's sentiments.

Me, with the team of CCD Teachers
from St. Anthony of Padua Church.

Lastly, after each speaking presentation I conduct about our dear Saints, there is one particular question that I especially enjoy hearing from my audience... and that question is: "Where can I learn more about the lives of the Saints?"or "Where can I find good books about the lives of the Saints?"  Today I heard that question more than once, which indicated to me that people had paid attention and the "message" was going home with the families.  What a blessing - thank you, Jesus!


* * *  TESTIMONY  * * *

Peter, we want to thank you again for the awesome presentation!!! After your talk one of the parents came up to Kim and told her that "they really enjoyed it and learned so much". I bet more positive feedback will come at our next CCD Class... God bless you and keep you safe, Peter! Thank you again!

- Kim, Joanne, and Monica
(the Catechists)

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Your comment/feedback is welcomed. However, business advertisements of any sort are not allowed and will be deleted. Thank you.]