Disclaimer

NOTICE: I am a practicing Catholic, active and in good-standing with my local diocese, who professes faith and loyalty to the Church. This ministry - my "little work" - is strictly a personal expression of that faith and loyalty, and not an officially recognized ministry in the Diocese of Honolulu.

~ Peter, Ministry Administrator


Sunday, October 3, 2021

Young Faces of Holiness Presentation, 10/3/2021: St. John Vianney Church, Kailua


God works in mysterious ways, I tell you... and He did so again in this particular situation.  Allow me to explain...

About two months ago a brother-in-Christ had major shoulder surgery and, because he couldn't drive, he asked me for a ride to a follow-up doctor appointment in a neighboring town; I ended up driving him.  At the same time, he had found a woman online who was selling hand-crafted wooden walking sticks and arranged to have her meet him in the parking lot of the doctor's building so he could buy one (she apparently lived in the area).

As I got to talking to the woman - her name is Joan - I learned she was a devout Catholic who taught catechism at St. John Vianney Church in Kailua where I happen to regularly attend Mass on Saturday mornings.  Our lively conversation eventually shifted to the topic of Saints so I told her about this ministry and the Saints & Relics Presentation I conduct.  Joan got excited because her CCD Team was actually looking for something new to teach their students about Saints in preparation for the upcoming Feast of All Saints... and now here we are today.

I conducted a Saints & Relics Presentation, especially featuring "young faces of holiness" such as Ven. Anne de Guigne, Bl. Carlo Acutis, the Fatima Seers, and St. Germaine Cousin for the CCD kids.  For their parents, I discussed Sts. Louis and Zelie Martin, and their ever-popular daughter - St. Therese the Little Flower.  I also brought St. Peregrine's relic because of the what seems to be an unusual prevalence of cancer cases in these times.

In between my talk I wove in short games to help entertain the kids, which always helps to keep them engaged... and no Guadalupe House presentation would be complete without Holy Relics so I brought several to expose the children to the concept of relics and relic veneration.

   

RELICS ON DISPLAY
Above: Fatima Seers & St. Germaine Cousin
Below: Sts. Louis & Zelie Martin, St. Therese
the LittleFlower & St. Peregrine

   

Of course the ongoing pandemic is still a concern, but the CCD Team at St. John Vianney's is diligent in practicing safety precautions - requiring masks, social distancing and temperature checks for everyone who attended, including myself.  Regardless, I personally feel it's all worthwhile for the sake of the children.  These youngsters are the future of the Church and they - and perhaps their parents, too - urgently need positive role models to guide their impressionable minds... and who better than our Saints?

Children and adults view and venerate the
relics present that were spaced apart.

Based on feedback received after the talk, the presentation was very well-received by both the kids and the adults... so I know the Lord had a hand in arranging this event through that providential meeting with Joan.  Again, God works in mysterious ways.  Amen.

+ + + + +

To read an online article in the Hawaii
Catholic Herald about this talkclick here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Your comment/feedback is welcomed. However, business advertisements of any sort are not allowed and will be deleted. Thank you.]