Disclaimer

NOTICE: I am a practicing Catholic, active and in good-standing with my local diocese, who professes faith and loyalty to the Church. This ministry - my "little work" - is strictly a personal expression of that faith and loyalty, and not an officially recognized ministry in the Diocese of Honolulu.

~ Peter, Ministry Administrator


Sunday, October 22, 2017

Saints & Holy Relics Speaking Presentation, 10/21/2017: Damien & Marianne Catholic Conference


An occasion of special grace for the Catholic Church in Hawaii!
It's been a busy October so far for this little ministry and there's still a few more things to come before the month ends... but I expected it to be an exceptionally active month since this time of the year is closely associated with Our Lady, the Saints, and the Holy Rosary; devotions I strive to promote.

The latest event I've been involved with - and the biggest so far for me - was the Damien & Marianne Catholic Conference.  The inaugural conference was held this weekend at the Hawaii Convention Center and I was invited to conduct two back-to-back presentations as part of the conference's Saturday lineup of breakout sessions. Several fantastic speakers were gathered to present on a variety of spiritual and social topics, and I considered it an honor for my personal ministry to be included... but at the same time how humbling and terrifying!   

On my part I had the privilege of faith-sharing to a couple of smaller audiences, which made for informal and intimate settings that I enjoyed.  My presentation was called Our Saints - God's Many Faces of Love & Mercy but it was basically the same content and format that I've done in past Saints & Relics presentations - a photo-filled slideshow summarizing the Sainthood Process; explaining what Holy Relics are; and featuring several biographies/genuine relics of mostly modern Blesseds/Saints.  The only thing that changes from presentation to presentation is the lineup of the holy individuals I speak about, which I tailor to suit my general audiences.  

Several 1st & 2nd Class Relics in this
ministry's custody were displayed for public
veneration during my two presentations at
the Damien & Marianne Conference. 

So for the Damien & Marianne Catholic Conference I prayerfully chose the following holy persons to feature and speak about, and also brought their respective relics to be publicly venerated by my audiences: St. Anthony of Padua (bone relic); St. Bernadette of Lourdes (bone relic); St. Damien de Veuster (coffin wood relic); Bl. Francis Xavier Seelos (bone relic); St. Gianna Beretta Molla (clothing relic); Sts. Louis & Zelie Martin (bone relics); Bl. Margaret of Citta-di-Castello (bone relic); St. Peregrine Laziosi (bone relic); St. Padre Pio (stigmata bandage relic); Bl. Rolando Rivi (hair relic); St. Therese the Little Flower (bone relic)... and no talk of mine about Saints would be complete if I didn't include my ministry's veil relic of the Queen of All Saints - the Blessed Virgin Mary!

Based on conversations I managed to have with several attendees after each presentation, it appears both talks were well-received by their respective audiences. People described the presentation as generally "interesting" and the stories of the Blesseds/Saints as "inspiring".  Many stayed to venerate the relics and a few even left teary-eyed, obviously touched by their personal contact with the hallowed remains of our spiritual heroes.  I was also deeply moved seeing the peoples' reaction to the Blesseds/Saints and I understood what they were going through.

Audience members venerating the
relics after the presentations.

As already stated above, this event was a privilege for my ministry.  It's difficult for me to describe in a few words just how personally blessed I feel each time I am able to share with audiences the exemplary lives of the Blesseds/Saints... to be able to give them a "voice" so that their encouraging message can be heard once more... to be able to have them venerated through their relics... and to be able to bring a measure of inspiration and hope to the people in my audiences who may be looking for it.  I can only say that I love this "job" and I thank Jesus that I am given opportunities to do it.  May Glory and Praises be to Him always!

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Your comment/feedback is welcomed. However, business advertisements of any sort are not allowed and will be deleted. Thank you.]