Disclaimer

NOTICE: I am a practicing Catholic, active and in good-standing with my local diocese, who professes faith and loyalty to the Church. This ministry - my "little work" - is strictly a personal expression of that faith and loyalty, and not an officially recognized ministry in the Diocese of Honolulu.

~ Peter, Ministry Administrator


Thursday, April 13, 2017

"Spiritual Serendipity"


"And we know that for those who
love God all things work together for
good, for those who are called
according to his purpose."

~ Romans 8:28

SERENDIPITY.  I like how it sounds; the way it feels while I'm saying it; and I like what it means.  According to one online resource, the word Serendipity generally means, " ... the act of finding something valuable or delightful when you are not looking for it"; another resource refers to it as a "fortunate coincidence".

In recent months I've had quite a few moments of "spiritual serendipity" - coincidental events that, upon further reflection, were personal affirmations and encouragement from above.  Countless people have had such experiences and I strongly believe that it's just one way God confirms that He really exists and that He maintains an interactive relationship with the Faithful; it's not a one-sided relationship, at all, when it comes to our faith-relationship with the Lord.  He's truly alive and he's concerned with our concerns.

Concerning the two recent serendipitous moments I share below, I was actually able to capture something tangible, via photos I took at the time.  Our Lady's intercession was involved and it just goes to show how interactive she is, as well, with us - her spiritual children.  I expect that most people will probably judge me as foolish or not "all there" ... or maybe both, but I'm fine with it.  What matters to me is that I got something positive out of these experiences ... and who knows?  There may be a reader out there who receives a needed spiritual affirmation, as well.

Small grains of rice; BIG message ...


Not that long ago, while having dinner, I chanced upon a TV program that was discussing abortion. As I watched, it soon became clear that the show leaned towards the pro-choice view and I was dismayed.

Glancing down at my food, I noticed that a few grains of the sticky rice had fallen off my fork unto the counter top, and what I saw was serendipitous, to say the least - the rice was clumped together in the form of a white silhouette against the dark granite, and oddly enough, it evoked a woman sitting (or kneeling), and holding a bundle!

If abortion wasn't such a serious topic, I might have considered the formation amusing.  However, as I kept staring at it, I had the sad conviction that our Holy Mother was trying to visually convey a message to me, given the situation at hand; that the figure represented her cradling ALL babies of the world, and she was profoundly grieved by abortion.

In my mind a clear thought then formed, which almost seemed like an audible voice - the voice I "heard" said: "Yes - they [the unborn] are my children, too."

... and another remarkable cloud formation

This second photo was taken this past Saturday, 4/8/2017 - the eve of Palm Sunday - after the vigil Mass at St. Anthony of Padua Church, Kailua.  Perhaps because of the somber theme associated with Holy Week, I was feeling melancholic and spiritually "dry".  Plus, I was still tired from the past work week and, despite myself, had a hard time focusing during the long Gospel reading about our Lord's Passion; I felt bad for my lack of attention.

After the Mass finished I walked out to my car and happened to look up into the sky to admire the bright blue sky ... and there it was - a ghostly figure that stood out like a sore thumb in the wispy clouds, and it looked remarkably like Our Lady of Fatima since the image closely resembled a Fatima statue with its long white veil and hands joined in prayer, just minus the large crown.  And it was all so clear ... plus it held its form until I finally took a photo!  Incidentally, this year marks the 100th anniversary of the 1917 Fatima apparitions and I'm happy to report that my parish has been diligently exercising a First Saturday Rosary Devotionuninterrupted, for 6+ years.

It goes without saying that I suddenly felt uplifted - refreshed - and thanked our Lord and our Heavenly Mother for that moment of spiritual serendipity.  It was a much needed boost and the inspiration that came to me as I gazed at the cloud-formation was simple: I knew for certain that Our Lady was encouraging perseverance and prayerful trust in God.  At the same time, I was assured that she was praying for me, too.  It's a comforting notion that could apply to any believer who finds himself/herself in a time of personal challenge, whatever that it may be.

I don't expect people to read this blog and arrive at the same conclusion as me about the situations and photos described above; it's completely understandable.  The main point I hope readers will get is that God exists and is continually reaching out to all of us.  He's highly responsive, but often communicating with us in surprising and unexpected ways ... even through things that may seem insignificant at first (like an odd-looking cloud, a small piece of crumpled kleenexor a few small grains of rice!).

The unusual cloud with the image of the
Holy Virgin outlined.  Note its uncanny
resemble to Our Lady of Fatima.

If we can just view life's many moments through the eyes of faith and, be open to God's limitless possibilities, we may just recognize that certain oddball moments are indeed instances of "spiritual serendipity" - little signs reminding us of Heaven's presence that are timely ... affirmative ... enlightening ... meaningful ... even wondrous!  Anything is possible when it comes to God ... and "all things work together for good" for those who love Him.

"The heavens declare the glory
of God; the skies proclaim the work
of his hands.  Day after day they
pour forth speech; night after night
they display knowledge.  There is
no speech or language where their
voice is not heard.  Their voice goes
out into all the earth, their words
to the ends of the world."

~ Psalm 19:1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Your comment/feedback is welcomed. However, business advertisements of any sort are not allowed and will be deleted. Thank you.]