Disclaimer

NOTICE: I am a practicing Catholic, active and in good-standing with my local diocese, who professes faith and loyalty to the Church. This ministry - my "little work" - is strictly a personal expression of that faith and loyalty, and not an officially recognized ministry in the Diocese of Honolulu.

~ Peter, Ministry Administrator


Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Reflection on Lent...


Please allow me to share a seemingly insignificant event that later turned out to be something very meaningful for me… about two weeks ago, I made a morning stop at a 7-11 store to pick-up my daily cup of coffee. As I was unlocking the door to get back into my car, I casually glanced down and noticed a single flower staring up at me in a patch of gravel. I turned back to my car, and out of nowhere, a sentence suddenly popped into to my head, which caused me to do a quick turnaround. The words of the thought were simple and direct - “God made that flower...” - and they impressed me enough to make me stop and take another look at the little blossom.

The second time around, I paid closer attention to it, and the more I did, the more I appreciated its stunning beauty – its yellow color contrasted brightly against the dark bluish-gray hues of the rocks beneath it and its triple layer of three petals somehow reminded me of the Holy Trinity… so much so that I was moved to offer a short prayer of praise to the Lord for this one humble flower that I was enjoying in a parking lot, of all places!

Afterwards, I reached down to pick the flower off its stem so I could bring it home for my personal altar, but a sense of guilt overcame me when I realized that I would be depriving the next person who came along of the joy and blessing of seeing it, too. So I took out my cell-phone and contented myself with taking a photo instead (above). I didn’t know what the name of the plant was, but in my mind I referred to its lovely bloom as the “Trinity Flower”.***

Later when I viewed the picture at home, I meditated on the entire scenario and a series of thoughts flooded into my mind, which when taken as a whole, made for a really good reflection that’s worth sharing… In essence, I saw the meaning and purpose of Lent in the photo. That this holy season in the Church is truly a special opportunity for all of us to discern the areas in our lives that have become dry, and perhaps, even dead… and to open these areas to the Lord’s mercy and grace so he can make them fertile again. I recalled that when I was looking at the flower in the parking lot, I wondered at how the plant managed to grow in such dismal conditions; that there must be just enough good soil under the rocks (and the cigarette butts) for God to use so it could somehow thrive and produce this spectacular specimen of a flower… but isn’t that how God is with our souls, too?

I further recognized in the rocky patch of ground the imagery of a parched soul, thirsting for revival and healing… while the lovely flower with its petals represented our Triune God: the Heavenly Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit. How if a soul just gave God a little soil to work with in the midst of its personal barrenness, He can make something good and beautiful grow out of it… something that will not only transform the landscape of the soul, but also bring it immense joy.
 
Lent is that time of the year during which the Universal Church unites as one to experience this powerful healing transformation together. As we spiritually walk the Passion with Jesus during Lent, our sincere reflections, prayers, and penances become fertile ground for God to plant seeds in… He doesn’t need much soil as one can see in the photo, but just enough, unearthed from under all the gravel in our lives. God’s grace does the rest and creates in us something amazingly beautiful and vibrant!  May it be so for all of us during this Lenten Season.


*** NOTE: After conducting a search on the internet, I later learned that the plant is called a "Fortnight Lily", and it's a member of certain Iris-blooming grass-like plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Your comment/feedback is welcomed. However, business advertisements of any sort are not allowed and will be deleted. Thank you.]